Draft Biodiversity Economy Strategy released for public comment
Submitted by: Nadia Shah, Thursday, November 5, 2015
Stakeholders are invited to comment on the Department of Environmental Affairs’ (DEA) draft Biodiversity Economy Strategy (BES) before the 19th of November 2015. The BES outlines a fourteen year plan to increase the economic value of the biodiversity economy with the aim of achieving an average annualised GDP growth rate of 10% per annum by 2030.
What is the biodiversity economy?
According to the BES, South Africa’s biodiversity economy encompasses economic activities that either directly depend on biodiversity for their core business or that contribute to conservation of biodiversity through their activities. The biodiversity economy includes bioprospecting defined as the development or application of indigenous, biological or genetic resources for commercial or industrial exploitation and the wildlife industry which includes live sales of indigenous wildlife, the sale of game meat and the hunting industry.
How will economic growth be achieved?
The BES seeks to optimise the biodiversity economy by addressing constraints for growth, facilitating cooperation between the private sector, government and communities, attracting new investments and ensuring environmental sustainability.
Submission of comments:
Stakeholders are invited to submit written comments via email or post:
The Director-General: Department of Environmental Affairs
Attention: Mrs Preshanthie Naicker-Manick
Private Bag x447
Written comments may also be hand delivered to the Department of Environmental Affairs:
473 Steve Biko Street, Arcadia
To download a copy of the draft Biodiversity Economy Strategy, visit the Department of Environmental Affairs website.
To keep updated with sustainability news subscribe to the fortnightly Urban Earth Newsletter.
You may also be interested in:
- National Biodiversity and Business Network to assist businesses to integrate biodiversity issues into their strategies
- Department of Science and Technology launches national waste sector survey
- Department of Environmental Affairs launches Green Cars Initiative
- Jobs fund to create 800 sustainable biodiversity jobs for graduates and matriculants
- DEA releases Draft National Greenhouse Gas Emission Reporting Regulations for public comment
- Nominations are open for the 2013 eThekwini Municipality Mayoral Awards in the Biodiversity Category
- Implementing green roofs in South Africa could help to cool cities and increase biodiversity
- Department of Environmental Affairs releases the 2013/14 National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Report