Comments invited on South Africa’s Environmental Impact Assessment Regime
Submitted by: Margaret McKenzie, Friday, March 22, 2013
The parliamentary portfolio committee on Water and Environmental Affairs is inviting comments from the public on the efficacy of South Africa’s Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) regime. The comments are due by 12th April 2013.
The portfolio committee is planning to host public hearings in April and May 2013 on the EIA regime and is inviting these written comments as part of the lead up to the hearings. The public hearings are intended to examine difficulties experienced with the EIA process in South Africa and will cover the following topics:
- The efficacy of EIA requirements as experienced by practitioners, regulators and policy-makers, in policy, law and environmental governance structures;
- The effectiveness of EIA as a planning and regulatory tool in relation to EIA review and Environmental Management Plan (EMP) implementation;
- Whether South Africa has the requisite combination of expertise, sufficient and sustained financial capacity, and well-performing institutional and regulatory mechanisms to maintain an effective and balanced EIA regime;
- The strengths and weaknesses of the current EIA systems; and
- Recommendations to address specific challenges and responses of the present EIA regime pertinent to the practitioner, regulator and policy-maker.
Written comments should be titled “The Efficacy of South Africa’s EIA Regime’’ and addressed to Ms Tyhileka Madubela, Committee Section, Parliament of RSA, PO Box 15, Cape Town 8000. Comments can be emailed to Ms Madubela on firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered Room 0/88, 3rd Floor, 90 Plein Street, Cape Town.
To keep updated with sustainability news subscribe to the fortnightly Urban Earth Newsletter.
You may also be interested in:
- NERSA welcomes comments on Guideline for Electricity Reseller Tariffs
- eThekwini Municipality's Open Data Policy: Call for Public Comment
- South Africa’s National Treasury publishes draft Carbon Tax Bill for public comment
- Department of Environmental Affairs releases the 2013/14 National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Report
- Department of Environmental Affairs releases environmental compliance and enforcement report
- ‘Taxi Map’ website promotes public transport in South Africa by mapping popular minibus routes
- National Treasury releases carbon tax policy paper for public comment
- EThekwini Municipality releases draft Air Quality Management Plan for public comment